Tuesday 26 July 2011

XC Podiums for Junior Team

The Nukeproof Junior team consisting of Dan Sheridan and Christopher McGlinchy took part in the Irish National Cross Country Championships at the weekend.

Christopher ended up finishing second ahead of team mate Dan Sheridan who suffered from cramps for the duration of the race and behind fellow Downhiller Gavin Carroll in the Junior category.

The guys said the track was amazing, full of flowy singletrack sections with a few hard climbs and some tricky section.

Speaking after the event Christopher said "I ended up finishing in second which was great as i didnt think i was going to finish half way through. The Mega was amazing, good on the climbs and was just like i was on my downhill bike on the way back down."

Meanwhile Dan explained his race tactics "I set off third planning to sit behind for the first two laps to not blow myself up, and then moved into second mid way through the first lap. I was sitting comfortably behind first for the first 2 laps and then I started cramping up so bad. Chris caught up pretty soon after I lowered the pace and we had a pretty tight battle for the last lap. Then in the last forest section I got off to run up a rooty climb but my legs cramped straight away and I fell to the ground unable to move my legs, watching Chris cycle past! It took me about two minutes until the cramp faded and I could finally get up and carry on. This was probably one of the worst pains I've ever experienced however I ended up finishing 3rd which was pretty cool as 1st, 2nd and 3rd were all pure DH riders!''

Well done to Christopher and Dan on their results. The guys' next race is in the Irish National Downhill Championships in County Wicklow.

No comments: