Thursday 28 July 2011

Straitline's Adam Brayton takes 3rd at British National Downhill Champs

Keswick-based gas-to-flat master Adam Brayton galloped to a 3rd place finish at the British national Downhill Championships. The Llangollen race track is super steep and technical in the trees leading into a mess of super loose turns in the open leading down to the finish.

You can watch Adam getting loose in this video by the guys at Wideopen Magazine:


Wideopenmag British National Downhill Champs Llangollen 2011 from Wideopen Mag on Vimeo.

Find out how Adam got on below:

It’s been a while since I’ve done a race report and that’s mainly due to poor results to be honest, but after the national champs at the weekend things are starting to look up, actually the more I think about it things really picked up at the Windam world cup where my chain snapped on the start straight and I boshed a tree in my run and was 13secs down on old gwinner, so I got a huge boost of confidence there.

After America I haven’t ridden until the National Champs, I was pretty worn out so it was a good chance to get some rest and just chill out.

I landed down at Lang G on the Friday night and got right to bed in the Scudo hotel next door to Baz (Harry Heath) I could hear his suspension squeaking all night, God knows what he was up to in there.

Saturday morning I got up the track early and checked out the new wooded section it was looking mean as, just how it should be!

I was pretty chilled in practice and just having fun, there is some great turns on the track and the cut wet screams were hooking up a treat, my whole set up just felt dialled in and Saturday was done and dusted with 4 runs in the book.

Saturday night was just chilled, Six Pac (Scott Mears) came round with his new bible, so he read me a few stories out of that then I left him for a bit to make some phone calls and when I came back he was still reading his bible and we had a good time, he’s right into the old bible bashing, but he put in a solid performance this weekend so I’m stoked for him!! Well done 6 Pac.

Sunday and my goals were pretty clear in my head and that was to win so once I qualified 1st I was real happy with that and I knew I could build on it for finals.
Going up for finals I was so chilled, it’s amazing how much a bit of confidence changes you! I was focused and ready for it, at the top it was a mean feeling of being last man down, it was my 1st time in this situation so knowing everyone waiting down at the bottom seeing if you could do it was pretty sick!

Right out the gate I went hard, this run was all or nothing and I took some great risks but that’s what it takes to win, you have to put it all on the line and that’s the best feeling ever, there was some insane moments up there that all added up to cost me time but I felt like I attacked every inch of that track so crossing the line in 3rd was a huge disappointment at the time but once I got back to the van and thought things though it was a great day, I put it on the line and gave it everything and that’s all you can do, I didn’t cross the line and think ohh what if I had done this or that... there was none of that so it was cool to put down a solid run and that feeling for me is as good as winning!

Old Ruaridh he put in a stormer well done mate!

No comments: