Tuesday 19 July 2011

Nema and Leatt's Scotty Laughland Takes the Elite Win at UK Gravity Enduro

The UK Gravity Enduro series visited the perennial venue of Innerleithen for round 3.

Our man on Nema and Leatt took the Elite win and 5th fastest time of the day.

Here's Scotty's round up of events:

Well Friday the 15th saw practise begin for the Innerleithen UK Gravity Enduro, it was to be a Friday/Saturday event so that locals could celebrate "Games Week" and burn "The Devil"!

I sent a chilled lap with The Boss (my Dad) and had a look at a few of the stages. I knew the majority already having ridden there over the winter on training rides. The format of the event saw you have 5 timed DH stages and the fastest acumlative time would win the event. However you had a set amount of time to reach the next stage and if you missed it then you had a time penalty!

Stage 1 was the Cresta DH run, which was fast, couple of jumps and then some switchbacks.

Stage 2 was a "secret trail" that was very muddy and pretty technical, lots of tricky rooty and rock garden sections to catch you out before sprinting up the hill to finish.

Stage 3 was part of the red run XC trail and was really fast and flowing if a bit pedally come racing!

Stage 4 was the old classic DH track, which was mega, I've only ridden it a couple of times but it's so much fun, really step, rutted turns.

Stage 5 was the matador on to Caddon bank for a mix of berms and jumps.

Qualifying on the Friday was to seed you in your respective category, on the way up I noticed my gear cable had snapped at the shifter so unable to pedal I cruised in and took 48th place overall and 6th in Elites, a start!

A good night's sleep and a bit of pasta in me, I awoke to a very wet morning, quick tyre change to something more grippier than a rear slick and I was set. I rode pretty solid throughout the day and made only a couple of mistakes across the 5 stages. I pedalled hard on stages 3 and 5 and was absolutely smoked by the end.

I finished 1st elite and 5th overall on the day. I was mega happy with how the event went and will definitely be doing one in the future!

No comments: