Wednesday 14 September 2011

Victory for Gaerne's Lampre-ISD Team in Vuelta a Espana

Lampre-ISD joins the club of the teams that have won at least one stage in Vuelta 2011.

The Blue-fucsia team thanks Gavazzi, who completed an outstanding race in the 18th stage (Solares-Noja, 174,6 km): Gavazzi pipped Vandewalle in a two men sprint at the end of a long breakaway that begun after 10km.

Gavazzi and Vandewalle escaped from the group of attackers with 2000m to go and they reached the final straight, on which Gavazzi used his speed to win the sprint and obtain his fourth season success (eighth in career).

No changes in the overall standing that is still led by Cobo.

"I'm satisfied for having completed an interesting breakaway in the best way - Gavazzi commented - In the attack there were some riders that could be competitive on the climbs, especially Paulinho and Rodriguez, but I had no problem and, managing my energies, I could still have energies for the final part of the stage. I knew I was the fastest but, when Vandewalle attacked at 2 km to go, I decided to follow him since I understood that the other riders were tired. It was a good move and then I perform a perfect sprint that gave me the victory: this success gives an extra value to a beautiful season of my team".

Sport directors Maini and Vicino, who were very skilful in managing the good fit of Gavazzi, were satisfied too: "We knew that Gavazzi was pedaling in a powerful way so we asked him to try to join the breakaway: he did it in the best way, giving the team the victory".

STAGE RESULTS
1st Gavazzi 4h24'42"
2nd Vandewalle s.t.
3rd Deniez 10"
4th Sijmens s.t.
5th Montaguti s.t.

No comments: